Sunday, April 19, 2015

Please Contact Your Legislators

Look, it only takes a few moments. Google "contact your legislators name", go to their handy plug in the info screen and be done. I know the EOY testing window is already open. We're going to have to grind through this one too, but if we want things to change sooner rather than later, then we must continue to apply pressure.

Below is my message to my Senator, Gayle Manning. It's no better (and possibly worse) than the message you can articulate in the interest of the change you seek. I also contacted my Rep, Gayle's son Nathan. We're a one family political district 'round here. Which is cool, as long as they agree with me. Unfortunately, that's not always the case.

Senator Manning, 

I trust that your return to Columbus in the last week has been positive and productive. Since you saw me speak at the education forum in Elyria, I have been working diligently in the interest of my Elyria High students' success in American History, on the OGT and otherwise. I have also been continuing my efforts to raise awareness regarding our new testing system and it's terribly intrusive, and technologically and academically inappropriate nature. I have spoken at forums in North Ridgeville as well as Vermilion. 

Once again, I would like to thank you for protecting school funding in the wake of increasing opt-outs. I would also like to know what work has been done to remedy the testing system. I have heard about the Senate Advisory Committee on Testing and its survey, which told us that most stakeholders oppose the new system (which I think we knew). What I'd like to assure is that there is legislation in the works, that it seeks to eliminate the practice of testing all spring in two windows through PARCC and PARCC-like assessments created by AIR. I know that your time is limited because of another sizable legislative break prior to next school year, so I hope legitimate progress is being made. 

Thank you for your efforts in the interest of your constituents, and thank you in advance for a response to this message. 

Matt Jablonski 
Social Studies Teacher 
Elyria High School

No comments:

Post a Comment