Saturday, May 7, 2016

From Kent State's Master of Arts in Teaching, Action Research Presentations.


On Thursday, I had the wonderful opportunity to visit Kent State to address a group of aspiring teachers and a few of their professors regarding the work my wife and I have been engaged in to positively impact education policy in Ohio. 

I often find the activism disheartening as an issue I'm addressing becomes compounded by others, or as correspondence to legislators goes unanswered, or if those with whom I meet and speak seem uninterested. 

However, in planning my remarks I was able to set side by side the accomplishments of the past 2 years and I was encouraged. I know, excessive assessments persist, funding is not yet equitable, Ross and Hansen have not been investigated, and the Youngstown Plan moves forward. Within that mess, the double testing window is gone and so are Hansen and Ross, a plan is in motion to improve the Lorain schools to protect them from the Youngstown Plan, and dozens of public school districts have passed resolutions billing the state for money lost to charters. This doesn't include the countless legislative fires that have been put out along the way.

Did I do this? Hell no, but I like to think that I played a role, however small. I hope you feel that you have too.

This opportunity to speak at Kent had me revisit these things, and renewed my sense of purpose. The new teachers who presented their action research on a variety of topics, ranging from the use of technology to experiencing grief in the classroom, were highly motivated, intelligent, and articulate individuals who will grace our schools soon. I hope that as their careers progress, they too will have a sense that their voice can make a difference.

Thanks to everyone at Kent for the hospitality, and a special thanks to my good friend Bryan Ashkettle for making the connections.

Here's a piece from the Kent State website on the event. It accompanies the picture above.

Each May, the Master's of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program teacher candidates shared their action research projects conducted during student teaching.This year's event featured Elyria High School social studies teacher and activist, Matthew Jablonski, as the keynote speaker. Eleven MAT students presented their findings and drew implications for their future teaching practice. 
The MAT program is a full time, 11 month graduate-level program that prepares teacher candidates for initial licensure in Ohio and many other states. The program accepts candidates interested in teaching Language Arts, Mathematics, Science and social studies in grades 7-12. Additionally, the program prepares multi-age teachers (pre-K through 12) in Art, Dance, Foreign Language, and Health. This accelerated program is offered to recent bachelor and graduate degree holders, as well as career changing professionals, who now desire to become teachers. 
Pictured from left to right: Dr. Bryan Ashkettle, Mr. Matthew Jablonski, Dr. Lisa Testa, and Mr. Michael Levicky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment