Sunday, May 31, 2015

I Can't Believe It's the End of the Year.



So, it's the end of the year, and everyone likes to say "I can't believe it's the end of the year." Or they wear a surprised face and say something like, "Gee, it sure went fast."

I think that this is the product of being in the business of saying good-bye. Saying these things tempers the overall melancholy involved. What I mean is, I got to know a hundred twenty or so high school sophomores this year; good, fine people. We've done some things, had some fun and suffered a bit together. They'll walk out in a week, like all students, and by and large I won't see them again. So, while a break is welcome, this is always a bit difficult.

So, we'll say my goodness the year went fast. Except that it didn't. It was a marathon of contract disputes, and overall disrespect of public education and educators from both inside and outside the business. We implemented a brutally excessive evaluation system and rolled out an even more horribly intrusive and inappropriate testing system while attempting to phase out the old one. Throw in legislators changing the laws as we went along, and some more criticism of teachers just for good measure and we've rounded out a year that felt like at least a decade.

All I wanted to do was teach, to find a measure of success for my students. Needless to say, in this environment it was terribly difficult.

Between you and me, I wanted to teach my students that sometimes no one understands what you're going through, and sometimes everyone seems completely crazy or cruel or completely mad, but it's O.K. I wanted to teach them something about empathy and compassion, that happiness will come through understanding, a feeling of accomplishment, service to one's community, being there for one another. I hoped to instill in them a sense of skepticism, a desire to question, to pursue the truth, to be an active participant in the acquisition of knowledge in order to better understand the world around them, and to work to change it to fit the ideal in their mind.

Unfortunately, these aren't lessons best conveyed in a presentation. I am an American History teacher, so I taught the assigned curriculum and hoped the rest shone through. I gave the assigned assessments, and told stories about my Polish grandmother and her immigrant parents until she got ill and I couldn't bring myself to talk about her anymore. 

We discussed Industry and American Ingenuity, activism and agitation. Outside of class I grew more vocal against the state's testing system. Those who didn't know me said this was because I was a failure within the system. They were wrong. I spoke out more. 

My students pursued the world wars, we read poetry and manifestos, wrapped our minds around the economic despair of the Depression with their own economic hardship, and related the significance of the Civil Rights era to events in Ferguson, Baltimore, and Cleveland. 

I wrote my own manifestos as assigned by the Ohio Teacher Evaluation System to prove that I am a quality teacher. They worried about the state tests, so I made them laugh and worried for them. We read and wrote and prepared, and the assessments arrived and arrived again. 

More people got sick, students and family. I worried more. Holidays came and went. And throughout, the testing ground away at their enthusiasm as March became April which delivered more testing in May. And still I taught, and still they learned, despite the system.

It has always been this way.

So, it's the end of the year. On the whole we have passed the assessments and evaluations while operating within an atrocious system that belittles us. 

As a side note, I believe that my students also learned many things of value this year.

I have a few words for those who continue to criticize me and all of us in public education, but they are not school appropriate.

So I'll say good-bye to my students. We had some fun didn't we?

It sure went fast.

7 comments:

  1. I'm sure you poured your heart into your teaching the way you did this post, and your students are better for knowing you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo, Matt! In spite of everything, E-town and your students are fortunate to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And this is why you were always my favorite teacher at Elyria High.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was shared on Facebook by a fellow EHS graduate. I had no idea what this was. By the end of the 2nd paragraph, I knew it had to have been written by Mr. Jablonski based on the distinct humor and skilled writing. Mr. Jablonski, you are an incredible teacher. I am a 2013 grad, so it's been awhile since I was your student, but memories of your class remain clear. You taught the required curriculum and prepared us to pass the dreaded OGT, all the while making us laugh, sharing your stories, and most importantly, teaching life lessons. What I remember most about your class, is that you turned the book material into something much more meaningful and applicable. Your teaching style is unique. Thank you for being you, Mr. Jablonski.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr Jablonski,

    My name is Heidi. I was a foreign exchange student from Norway in your American History class for a brief moment in 2011-2012. I do not know if you remember me, but I remember you very clearly. First, I would like to say that this blog is amazing. Your general interest and motivation to make teaching better both for students and teachers is unlike anything we have over here (probably because our nations try to succeed differently).
    Anyways, I still admire your character and attitude from the days when Elyria was my home for a year. I have yet to do anything with my life as I for some reason joined the Air Force and I still find myself here. I will start studying in the fall though (yeah right...)
    America needs teachers like you, and I think you already know that, but remember your blog is being read all across the Atlantic ocean, and hopefully it will go further.
    I wish you still were my teacher, and hope that you would consider moving to Norway and become the teacher we all wish we had.

    It's been 3 years since I left Elyria - It sure went fast.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this as Facebook post as well, from an EHS alum.
    I just typed a long, emotional, heart-felt response... then clicked the wrong button and lost it. I hope you are chuckling, because I'm sure that's happened to each of us a dozen times.
    Let me try again, and consider that my rough draft.
    I had your Honors American History class sometime around 2005, as I am from the class of '07.
    Your intellect, John Lennon glasses, goatee, and true passion for teaching are just a few of the reasons make you one of my favorite, and the most memorable, inspiring and life-impacting teachers I have ever had. As I sit here 8 years later, with a 7 year old daughter of my own, I only pray she has a teacher like you someday. Someone who really cares about the future of our children's minds and souls. Sure, I could say that the time has gone fast. That I don't know where it went, that it would be a surprise to wake up this morning with a first grader full of spirit, inquisition and wonder. But I've never been much of a liar. In the 8 years following your class, I have learned more than I ever imagined. If it wasn't for teachers, PEOPLE, like you, that would have never been possible. Keep teaching Mr. J., keep inspiring, keep motivating, keep telling your incredible stories, you may or may not light in a fire in everyone. But I assure you, there's a flame burning in my belly that was lit by you. I never gave up wanting to be more informed, wanting to make a difference, wanting to share that with others. I took a different path to where I am than many of my peers... but this summer I am in intern at Family Promise of Lorain County, an LCCC graduate headed to CSU this fall, and a better person because of you. YOU ARE MAKING A DIFFERENCE!
    -Angela Zmich Class of 2007

    ReplyDelete