Sunday, August 16, 2015

Ready To Go.



It was a fairly short summer. Many districts have adjusted their calendars to afford, among other things, more time for instruction prior to standardized testing. It's a good thing, especially since we won't have a map of the new tests or sample questions until later in the fall. The degree to which this is problematic will vary from grade to grade and subject to subject, but it will be problematic, problematic for all of the reasons it has been in the past (too lengthy, cultural bias, no timely feedback, etcetera, etcetera), and problematic in new and exciting ways as well.

My apologies for using the word problematic four times in that run-on sentence. Have I illustrated that I believe there are problems with standardized tests? Good. I'm sure I'll have more on that as this school year progresses.

So, I went into my classroom this week to get some things ready. My first week and a half are planned, materials set. I had a look at class lists, and everything seems in order, five classes 26-28 kids each, sold out shows. I've been assigned a few hundred new friends on lists for cafeteria duty. I've put in some prep time this summer to adjust methods and materials. I'm ready to go.

I stood in the doorway of my classroom (see picture above), and all successes seemed possible. The thing is...every year I wonder whether I can do this again. Usually, I'm concerned that I won't remember how to teach, to interact, to build relationships, to put on the necessary show to hold the attention of 28 fifteen year olds at a time, and assure that they achieve the necessary level of mastery in American History according to Ohio's standards in relation to their own individual background knowledge, learning styles, strengths and weaknesses.

But now the issues have multiplied, with so many adults, in education, government and the community weighing in, and taking away, as well as adding to and coming down on what we do.

I ran into a few former students while I was in the building. They've become mentors to incoming freshmen, sharing information and support in a brilliant program designed to build connections. These kids are so enthusiastic, so terribly motivated, it is almost impossible not to be inspired to work for their benefit. Sure, they're not necessarily cheering on the end of summer, but they're ready to go. 

As always, the students have made all the difference.

It was a fairly short summer, but we're ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment