Sunday, April 10, 2016

The Testing Window Has Opened.

Goal: End unnecessary state testing.
The testing window has opened here in Ohio, and students across the state, at all levels, have begun to sit for 3 hour assessments in a variety of subjects. At the younger grades a lot of districts are giving the tests in two parts because it's easier for an 8 year old to sit for 90 minutes. (I said easier, not easy)

I coach a youth soccer team of 11 and 12 year olds. At practice on Thursday, they were wild before we started. A bit nuttier than usual. We did our lap, had a stretch, and before I introduced our plan for practice I asked them, "So, how many of you had to take a really long test this week?" The majority of them raised their hands and this same group of boys who, 5 minutes prior, had been energetic and joyful, immediately became sullen, if not angry and defeated. I made an on the spot decision to play the 3 or 4 small sided games that they love the most.

It was the least I could do. I certainly couldn't tell them that their 5th and 6th grade tests were meaningless, even though they are, or that their grades on them aren't a real grade. Their teachers won't even see their scores until well after the school year has ended, and when they do, those scores will indicate what they always do, that rich kids outperform the poor.

The state tells their parents that the assessments are valuable so that we can have apples to apples comparisons of students, teachers, schools, and districts through the ever important value-added measure. But this logic has long since been proven flawed.

So, if I were to attempt to provide a legitimate reason why these kids were subjected to a 90 minute test multiple times this week, I simply cannot come up with anything good enough. The whole damn system exists because of the Texas Miracle of more tests and accountability equating to greater performance and lower dropouts. We all know that it was a lie. And yet state authorities persist with a system of assessment that has yet to have much, if any, positive impact on education.

Forgive me, but I'm not going to be the one to explain to these boys that they're taking standardized tests because a long time ago, some powerful adults lied about these tests being a good thing, and some other powerful adults (including the President) promoted the lie and made some laws as a result. Then, once everybody figured out they were all lying, it was too late, and nobody did shit to change the system.

The reasons we administer these assessments simply aren't good enough. I'm advocating for change, and I believe that my team (and their peers) would agree with me.

In the mean time, we're going to have a kick around and try to forget about the testing window.

No comments:

Post a Comment