Sunday, December 4, 2016

We Are All Youngstown. We Are All Lorain. We are all living through a series of nightmares worthy of Dickens.

 
The Ghost of Christmas Future, Betsy Devos

As a public school teacher, I've spent the past few weeks suffering night terrors, waking up screaming in defense of public schools. The specter of Betsy Devos is haunting me like the ghost of Christmas future, showing me scenes of myself teaching in an underfunded Christian charter school that was once the effective public school in which I currently teach.

What I realized yesterday, is that in all of the well-meaning hysteria about educational (and other) politics on the national level, this Dickensian nightmare is already happening here in Ohio. HB 70's Youngstown Plan has already resulted in the takeover of Youngstown, and now Lorain looks set for a CEO to take over as early as January. The Chronicle-Telegram has just published an excellent, if not well overdue, article on the predictably awful results of this legislation in Youngstown, the ramifications for Lorain, and some interesting commentary on the mentality and goals behind the plan.

Consider the following quote from Lorain Rep Dan Ramos, "This plan is much worse than people think it is. The CEO has to come in and have a plan for the district to improve, but it also has to find a way to expand charter schools in the district. That’s actually part of the law and I’m terribly concerned that it’s been the plan all along. We have all of these brand new buildings that are perfect for someone to stick a charter school in.”

Exactly. The CEO arrives to "improve" education in your district by taking power from a locally elected school board, dismissing administrators, teachers, and other staff who have invested themselves in the community, and privatizing schools when improvement isn't evident.

For anyone who has watched this situation from the "safety" of their districts and said something like, "I'm glad I'm not Youngstown." or "At least we're not Lorain." You are. If we combine the language of this law with the reality of the new assessment system, every district except the most affluent are within 3-5 years of a CEO state takeover. I teach in Elyria, a district that has been cited by the ODE as close to a Youngstown or Lorain scenario. I teach in a new high school here, and along with many others worked diligently this fall to assure the passage of a bond issue to build all new elementaries and middle schools. According to the timelines of both of these things, it is conceivable that a state takeover and move to charter schools would be occurring at the same time as the completion of the first of those new buildings. Coincidence or not, this is an injustice I'm not prepared to accept.


 
The Ghost of Christmas Present, Paolo DeMaria

So, yesterday when I remembered that while billionaire Betsy's desire to "advance God's kingdom" in America's schools is a nightmare for public education, the current purveyors of atrocities are right here in Ohio. So, I decided to write Superintendent Paolo DeMaria. If you recall, the Superintendent put out a call for input on education in Ohio. DeMaria also has the power to step in and prevent a takeover in Lorain through a safe harbor that's been granted to every other Ohio district as the ODE has transitioned (read butchered) us through a roll out of new assessments. DeMaria was also given significant input by Lorain stakeholder's as to why they are, in fact, making progress. So, what gives Paolo?

Here's my note to the super.

Superintendent DeMaria,

I hope this note finds you well and in the holiday spirit. I was hoping you could answer a few questions for me. The first few are about your decision to take no action regarding the takeover of the Lorain Schools. It was in your power to provide safe harbor, especially considering that Lorain's poor scores, like those of the vast majority of public schools in Ohio, had more to do with the well documented problems with the new assessment system, subsequent statewide resistance, and implementation of new tests last year. Those tests, as you know, made use of questions developed out of state in such a short time frame that proof of validity would be impossible. Every other school had safe harbor due to these, and many other issues. Why not Lorain?

When you took on your position as state superintendent, I championed your desire to listen, to hear from Ohioans. I know for a fact that legislators from the area, members of the state appointed distress commission, and other stakeholders implored you to take the only action that seemed just in Lorain, a safe harbor. So, if you are making informed decisions, and I believe you intend to, who provided the input to the contrary of those who actually work in the district?

I hope that your expressed desire to make informed decisions can be evidenced in your forthcoming explanation. I say this because while I am disappointed by the outcome in Lorain, I know that there are dozens of districts (including mine) that are 3-5 years from takeover under the current assessment system. You and I met face to face in Elyria, where I teach, at an ESSA stakeholder meeting. According to the findings from those meetings, stakeholders like me want far fewer tests, federal minimums as a matter of fact, as well as an end to the use of assessments in making high stakes decisions like those that result in the state takeover of school districts. Do you and the ODE plan to advocate for dramatic changes in the assessment system as recommended by stakeholders?

I would like to indicate that these are not intended as rhetorical questions. I would appreciate an answer. Thank you for your time, and your service to education in Ohio.

Merry Christmas.
Matt Jablonski


 
The Ghost of Christmas Past, John Kasich

I hope to get a response, and if I do, I will let you know. Perhaps it will be as simple as, "I am the Ghost of Christmas Present." or "I am in the Governor's pocket." Maybe it will be more thoughtful. I'd like to believe that when he talked to me about the school year when we met in Elyria, and we shared a vision of a collaborative improvement of Ohio's schools based on ESSA input, he wasn't bullshitting me. We'll see.

In the mean time, let's not forget... We Are All Youngstown. We Are All Lorain. Senator Joe Schiavoni of Youngstown has crafted a piece of Legislation, SB 230  that tempers the most awful aspects of the Youngstown Plan and establishes more local involvement. Senate leadership relegated it to the Finance Committee, a quiet burial. However, it was heard, and if it receives two more hearings this week it can be voted on. Find some basic info on the bill and contact info for the Finance Committee here. Let them and your own legislators know that you demand a more reasonable plan.

Fight the good fight.
Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, we are all Newark, Youngstown, Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Lorain, New Orleans, Flint. We must stand up for what is right. So many people do not get involved until they are personally threatened. Well, take it personally, people! We are almost all 3-5 years away from having no say in the schools which we send our children to, which are in our neighborhood, which we pay our taxes to support. Wake up and rise up!

    ReplyDelete