Saturday, March 28, 2015

It's over. It's not over. A Few Thoughts from a Few Weeks in the Life of a Test Administrator (I mean teacher).



When we finished OGT week there was little relief. Students had been told that the following week (this week) they'd complete their Student Growth Measures, more tests, this time linked to the Ohio Teacher Evaluation System.

In what can only be described as a sick joke, in the middle of last week during the Graduation Tests all teachers received next year's schedule of testing windows. A series of follow-up emails clarify the windows, and assure us that we needn't panic. I wasn't panicked, violently morose would be a more apt description of my state of mind.

On Monday the sunrise was brilliant out windows at the back of my classroom. I introduce the Semester Two Independent Study to much excitement. Student topics range from James Dean to the AIDS epidemic, Vietnam to the Challenger explosion. 

By Tuesday the latest wave of assessment has taken its toll. Student involvement ranges from lethargy, to distraction, to outright agitation. We're accomplishing very little. My attempts at humor, motivation, and interest go largely unrecognized even among the most motivated of students.

At soccer practice Tuesday night one of my players, an 11 year old, asks me, Do you know my favorite thing about the PARCC? I mistakenly think he's asking about a place with trees and birds and swing sets. He laughs, corrects me, and says, I don't have to take them. He and his parents have refused the tests.

Thursday night we attend Family Night at my son's school. We all have a blast playing math and reading games, attending the book fair, catching up with neighbors and friends, having some snacks. I am very impressed that all of the teachers make the scene, however beaten down by a burdensome teacher evaluation and assessment system. In a newsletter the following day, we're informed that the testing window re-opens in a few weeks, right after spring break.

Friday marked the conclusion of completion of the SGM's and make-up OGT's. Relief is short lived, however, when an email arrives spelling out the End of Year testing window which spans April and May. Again, I am instructed not to panic, so I decide I will simply feel defeated instead.

In a moment of excitement, I learn on Friday afternoon that the Ohio State Senate has passed SB3 in order to remedy excessive testing. Then I remember that SB3 does very little (read next to nothing) to remedy excessive testing. (See this blog from 2/13/15).

This week is over. Nothing is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment