Friday, March 20, 2015

Wish Us Luck.



I walked into my classroom yesterday morning to prepare for a last day of review prior to the Social Studies Ohio Graduation Test. The students were to take the Science test in a two and a half hour block before attending all classes in an abbreviated schedule where each period is 17 to 30 minutes. They said the Science test went well enough. We were careful not to talk too much about it for test security, though they indicated it was the most difficult so far.

I was ready to goof about economics, taxes, and the Federal Reserve one last time prior to the Social Studies test, before giving a motivational speech. Unfortunately, it just didn't play out well this year. The classes were beat down and generally uninterested. They've taken the American History AIR PBA this month, now four 2.5 hour OGTs, and next week the Student Growth Measure in most classes, a post-test that is administered by state law according to the Ohio Teacher Evaluation System.

Honestly, it has always been difficult to get the students motivated for my test, the Social Studies OGT, last one of the week. I'm asking for their best effort. They just want to be done. Never has this been more problematic.

I'm not sure how much longer I can hold onto the role I'm playing as their motivated teacher. I have always maintained a siege mentality, it is us against them. Up until this point, it has been a good motivator (for me and my students), but everyone is so tired. For awhile now I've been asking for legislators to change this system. I'm trying to build bridges, but I'm not sure if anyone listening. 

I'm leaving for school in half an hour. The Social Studies Test is today. Wish us luck. 

We've all had enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment