Saturday, June 20, 2015

A Diplomatic Response on the Budget Proposal from Senator Manning.

In my last post on this blog I suggested some issues with the Senate Budget Proposal and encouraged you to check it out, and contact your Senator. I recently heard back from Senator Gayle Manning regarding the problems that I articulated in an email. While I am not entirely satisfied with the explanation, it is thoughtful and diplomatic, and in a sense illustrates the manner in which the good Senator is attempting to serve all of her constituents. This is commendable.

She fails, however, to satisfactorily address my concerns about charter school funding. She does not address the increases in per pupil funding with specifics, and takes a very cautious route in mentioning a "Task Force" to investigate the issue. The fact that she has proposed an amendment in the interest of remedying the problem is admirable. The reality here in Ohio suggests that this will likely turn into a task force of charter school supporters, (read politicians elected with the help of charter money) and nothing will happen. If I try to spend a moment steeped in optimism, which is difficult for me, I do see that the blind support of charters has become less popular. 

Perhaps, (now in a moment of blind optimism) the Task Force that Senator Manning is suggesting is exactly what some legislators need in order to convince them to take meaningful action. After all, the Senate Committee on Assessments spent time and money on a formal study which finally convinced many legislators to believe what public school teachers, students, and parents had been telling them all along about standardized tests.

I can't wait to see how both of these issues turn out. Don't worry, I've got time.

If you're interested in Senator Manning's reply to my query on the budget, here it is... My thanks to her, as always, for her diligence to her work, and willingness to communicate with me regarding my incessant concerns.

Dear Mr. Jablonski,

Thank you for contacting my office with your thoughts on school funding in H.B. 64.

I certainly understand the point that you are making, however, as the State Senator for Lorain and Huron County, I represent a total of 21 school districts. Under the Governor's introduced version of the budget, 10 out of 21 school districts I represent would lose money over the next biennium. No formula plan is perfect, however, under the Senate version, no school districts lose money. 

The Senate version of HB 64 has many factors we addressed to end up with the funding plan we proposed. The funding formula builds off the budget formula enacted 2 years ago and increases the per pupil formula, special education, career-technical education, and K-3 literacy amounts as recommended by the Executive and the House. 

Charter school funding is a problem in the State of Ohio that we need to address immediately. I have proposed an amendment to the budget bill to create a Task Force to review direct state funding for charter schools.

Thank you again for contacting me with your thoughts on this important subject. If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact my office at  ###  or my home at  ###.

Sincerely,


Gayle L. Manning
State Senator 
13th Ohio Senate 

No comments:

Post a Comment