Thursday, June 25, 2015

We Are All Youngstown.

While perhaps a bit melodramatic, the title of this post sums up how frightened I have become regarding the Youngstown Amendment. I went to sleep last night believing there was time. I awoke this morning to discover that the House voted in favor of the bill last night. At this point, I would be surprised if the governor didn't sign it into law today.

I just expressed my feelings on this situation to my representative, Nathan Manning. This is hopefully the first of many actions I will take in solidarity with the citizens, students and teachers of Youngstown.


Nathan,

First, I want to thank you for voting against HB 70.

I apologize for contacting you at this address, but I am terribly troubled by the legislature's vote to essentially end public education in Youngstown. The so-called "Youngstown Amendment" was rushed through in clear violation of democratic principles and public input. I know that the Youngstown Schools are struggling terribly, but placing a CEO in charge without any public oversight is not the solution. This is an individual who, in dictatorial style, can make compensation, evaluation, and dismissal decisions alone, as well as turn any or all of the districts schools over to charter sponsors.

Charter schools have not been more successful than their public counterparts, and often less so. While perhaps unpopular, I also happen to believe that taking action to remedy Youngstown's poverty would have been a better course of action. Where high poverty exists, low scores on state measures of academic achievement exist.

What is also disturbing, is the fact that in less than a day there was an ability to take action in order to privatize a public district. However, when the legislature was presented with a flood of information from teachers, parents, and students on the detrimental impact of over-testing, further study was undertaken, and students were forced to grind through a season of atrocious, unnecessary and inappropriate assessments. So, when Senator Lehner carries on about doing what's right for students in Youngstown, you'll forgive me if I am highly skeptical.

The bottom line seems to be, and you'll forgive me if I sound paranoid, a roll out of terribly difficult assessments drives districts into academic distress, while legislation like HB 70's Youngstown Amendment provides the framework to move these publics into private hands. Is this that far off?

I know you do not represent Youngstown, nor do I live and teach there. However, I believe that this is a dangerous precedent, and you and I have not heard the last word on this issue. 

As always, thank you for your time, your efforts in the interest of your constituents, and once again for your vote against HB70.

Yours in education.
Matt Jablonski

No comments:

Post a Comment